The Communicator - September 22, 2011
DATES TO REMEMBER
- Thursday, September 29, Parent Social for 1st-3rd grade parents on The Terrace: 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. Invitation to follow. Come join us!
- Week of October 3 - Red Ribbon Week, click here for more information and the week's schedule
- Wednesday - October 5 - Donuts with Dad at 7:40 - 8:30 a.m. Come share a donut with your childr, coffee with other Dads and hear Dr. Chip Taylor offer parenting advice for Dads.
The school will be closed on Tuesday, November 8 as Charleston Day will be a polling place for the 2011 election. We are proud to offer assistance to the city. Faculty will use the day for faculty meetings at CDS.
SAVE THE DATE:
Friday, February 3, 2011 - Our 75th Anniversary Celebration (More information to come).
Class pictures started the week of September 19th. Girls should wear a dress or skirt and boys 1st-3rd grades should wear a collared shirt and khakis and 4th-8th graders should wear a coat and tie.
The regular and make-up schedule is:
Ms. Regalubuto's 1st graders - Friday, September 23
Mrs. Davis's 1st graders - Monday, September 26 (after assembly)
3rd graders - Tuesday, September 27
6th and 2nd graders - Wednesday, September 28
Mrs. Tonks's 4th graders - Thursday, September 29
Mrs. Tobin's 4th graders - Friday, September 30
Yearbook letter for all parents Yearbook ad contract for all parents
CENTER FOR DRUG AND ALCOHOL PROGRAM MEETING
You are invited to a parent meeting presented by MUSC Community Outreach and Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs on Thursday, October 6, from 8:00 – 8:45 a.m.in the Charleston Day library.
CDAP believes that parents provide a critical role in the process of drug awareness education. The doctors who have met with grades 6-8 during Red Ribbon Week will provide parents with the most up-to-date facts about chemical dependency and give parents the tools and confidence necessary to address these issues with their children.
BOARDING SCHOOL INFORMATIONAL MEETING
Boarding School Informational Meeting for 7th and 8th grade students and their parents on Wednesday, October 5, at 4:00 p.m. in the schools commons. Learn more about student life at a boarding and how to apply. Mr. O'Shea, Mr. Willits, and the admission directors from the Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tennessee, will be present to answer questions about boarding school.
FLIP FLOP DAY
We will have Flip Flop day on Friday, September 30 to raise awareness and money for childhood cancer. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and Press On to CURE Childhood Cancer supports research into novel and less toxic therapies for neuroblastoma and acute myeloid leukemia, 2 deadly pediatric cancers. We can support Press On by asking that each student bring in a $1.00 to wear flip flops for the day on Friday, September 30. All donations will be matched by a CDS family.
PARENT COUNCIL NEWS
- Box Tops for Education: Please collect box tops and drop off at the front desk by October 28, 2011.
- Wreath Sale: Flyers are available at the front desk or download it here. Wreaths will be available for pick-up after November 30th.
- Consignment Store: Please send in your gently used uniforms in plastic bags with your full name to the front desk for our consignment sale. More information to come.
- We will be having an ongoing used book sale this year. There will be a cart of books donated right outside the library doors. If you would like a book, drop $.50 into the box or an IOU slip to the Scorpion's den into the box and it will be added to your account. If
you have books to donate, have your child bring them to the cart. Age appropriate please 1st through 8th grade.
- Thank you to Matt Watson and Cress Darwin for volunteering in the Scorpion's Den recently. Hopefully this will be starting a new trend. Any other fathers who would like to help out (especially at home volleyball games), please contact Kelly Carr.
BOOK FAIR AT BARNES & NOBLE
The Annual CDS Book Fair will be held in our lovely new library and in the Barnes and Noble West Ashley Store on Thursday, November 3 and Friday, November 4. Our students' artwork will be presented in the store November 2-6. Books will be available for online order November 1-11, and any item in any Barnes and Noble nationwide purchased with our code will send the CDS Library 20% of each sale, so grandparents and other relatives and friends all over the country can participate.
At the Fair, we are highlighting books suitable for our Intermediate and Middle students this year, but will, of course, have plenty of offerings for our Primary students, too. We are planning a Parent Coffee and Preview during the Fair as well, and we'll present those details closer to the time. Julie Walters is our Parent Leader. Mark your calendars for our Fair in time for Christmas shopping and support our library!
PARENTS' COUNCIL CONNECTION FOR SEPTEMBER
LANDS' END 25% SALE
Lands' End is having a 25% off sale for Friends and Family from today until Tuesday
- Volleyball game and practice information can be found on the volleyball webpage.
- September practice information can be found on the soccer webpage.
We also have a new Athletics Calendar page you can access now.
THINK YOU MAY HAVE MISSED A COMMUNICATOR EMAIL?
You can see an archive of all of The Communicator's from the start of the school year here.
FOR THE ACADEMIC WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 26 - SEPTEMBER 30
Click here to download the below schedule to print out. You can also view these assignments and tests on the Communicator Calendar webpage.
PRIMARY SCHOOL INFORMATION
Wednesday: Math quiz
Thursday: graded dictation
Friday: Spelling test
Penguins of the week: Gardiner Willis and Marshall Sinkler
Wednesday: Ch. 2 Place value math test
Thursday: Moon test; Mrs. Hadden's class French test
Friday: Spelling test; Mrs. Cardwell's class French test
Wednesday: 100 additional facts test in 4 minutes
Thursday: SS quiz
Friday: Spelling test; Weekly math quiz
Tuesday: Lemonade War Quiz, Ch. 1-9
Wednesday: Science quiz
Thursday: Spelling Lesson 3 test; Mrs. Tobin's French Test
Friday: History quiz; Mrs. Tonks French test
Monday: Preposition quiz
Wednesday: Maniac Magee comprehension quiz
Friday: Spelling test, Lesson 3; Monthly reading requirement due
Tuesday: History test
Wednesday: Math 6 test
Thursday: Grammar Ch. 2 test
Thursday: History test
Friday: History test
Tuesday: Personal Narrative Draft due
Wednesday: Algebra test
Thursday: History test
Friday: History and Literature test