The Communicator - November 17, 2011
Dates to Remember:
- Tonight: Thursday, November 17 - 4th-8th grade Parent Social, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 22 - 1st and 2nd grade Father's Day Feast, 11:00 a.m.; School dismissal at 12:00 p.m. - No after school program
- Wednesday - Friday, November 23-25 - Thanksgiving Break
- SAVE THE DATES:
- Friday, February 3, 2012 - Our 75th Anniversary Celebration (More information to come). If you would like to donate a special talent or item to be auctioned at the Gala auction, please contact Dawn Dyke.
DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP MEETING
An invitation to attend a meeting on Digital Citizenship - Digital Citizenship, Social Media and Peer Interactions: A Conversation with Dr. Chip Taylor, Ph.D., Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Cindy Perry, CDS Technology Specialist
Wednesday, December 7, 6:00-8:00 p.m. in the Student Commons
Instructional Session for Parents About raising Children in the Digital Age: Concerns, Safety, and Responsibilities
Please RSVP at: http://www.charlestondayschool.org/2011DigitalCitizenshipRSVP
WINTER DRESS CODE
As the weather turns a little chillier, a few reminders regarding the dress code.
• Outer wear of choice may be worn to and from school, but only solid navy blue, solid red, or solid white sweaters, fleece jackets or vests may be worn throughout the day (in class, etc.).
• It is not required that vests and jackets have the Charleston Day logo on them.
• Sweatshirts should not be worn to school.
• Please remember athletic shorts and pants for PE days should be from Land’s End.
PARKING LOT AND CARPOOL
As a reminder, please remember the parking spaces directly in front of Founders' Way need to be vacant 15 minutes prior to afternoon carpool. We can load students safely and faster when those spaces are left clear. Please be considerate of others.
GATE CODE REMINDER - the code is *1937 - with the star/asterisk
Remember that you can order class pictures all year here. Event pictures are also available on the parents landing page of the website.
4th GRADE FOOD DRIVE
The 4th grade food drive ends next Tuesdsay, November 22nd. Let's help hungry families by bringing a canned good to support the Lowcountry Food Bank! Please bring canned goods only. A fourth-grader will be collecting the canned goods at carpool every morning. Also, canned goods are greatly appreciated as part of your "admission" to the Father's Day Feast on Tuesday, November 22. Thank you for sharing with others.
PARENTS' COUNCIL NEWS
All Organic Casseroles and Delicious Side Dishes from Home Catering Company
"Home" has created a fabulous list of casseroles, vegetables, pies and soups for members of our CDS family to order. Items may be picked up at school during carpool, brought to your home if you live downtown or delivered to a convenient pick up location. "Home" is kindly donating 20% of the proceeds from all orders placed by CDS families and friends back to CDS. Questions, Kelly Carr 202.338.0300
Menu Order Form
- Wreath Sale: The deadline to order is next week. If you would like to order a wreath or garland please download the form or pick one up at the front desk and send in. Questions: Kelly Carr at 202.338.0300. Wreaths will be available for pickup on November 30th.
Practice schedule from November 11 - December 3 as of November 17, 2011
Instructions for accessing the Charleston Day School Basketball Team Shop! Purchase great Nike gear at fantastic discounts! Open to everyone, not just basketball families!
2011 Hoiday Hoops Camp information
CHARLESTON THANKSGIVING JUNIOR CLASSIC
USTA sanctioned, Level 3 Charleston Tennis Center, 19 Farmfield Avenue, Charleston SC 29407.
Friday, November 25 - Sunday, November 27
Divisions – Boys and Girls 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 & under
Singles and Doubles Entry Deadline – Sunday, November 20 at midnight
Tournament # 704139011. Enter at www.sctennis.com
Lunch served on Friday and Saturday.
Trophies awarded to winners and finalist. Call (843) 766-7401 for more information
For 4th and younger 5th grade boys and girls:
We are conducting a survey to see if we have enough children interested to form U11 lacrosse teams, for boys and for girls this spring.
We will need 20 children to form a team and Mason Prep has expressed interest in combining forces to produce a boys team. They will not be offering a girls team this spring.
The criteria is that the children not be 11 before 8/31/11. US Lacrosse governs the program and the kids MUST play in their age group.
Games begin at the end of February and go through April, playing 8-12 games. Practices will be twice per week; 5:30-7:00pm or 7:00-8:30pm. Most likely we would play in the Mt. Pleasant league, as they have the best fields. The cost is $55.00 for Mt. Pleasant residents and $100 for non residents.
Please let Coach Wallace know ASAP if you are interested OR have any questions.
print out next week's schedule, please download it here.
PRIMARY SCHOOL INFORMATION
Tuesday: Father's Feast
Tuesday: Father's Feast
Tuesday: History test; Pie party
Monday: Year of Boar Quiz
Tuesday: History test
Monday: Number sense test; Number the stars test
Tuesday: Number the Stars project
Monday: Chapter 4 History test
Tuesday: Math 6 test
Monday: Honors Algebra I test; History test
Tuesday: History test; Science test