The Communicator - January 12, 2012
Dates to Remember:
- Monday, January 16 - SCHOOL CLOSED for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Tuesday, January 17 - 1st grade parent meeting: 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, January 18 - 2nd grade parent meeting: 11:00 a.m.; Introductory meeting for middle school parents of the Human Growth and Development Educational Program: 5:00-6:00 p.m. in the library
- Thursday, January 19 - 3rd grade parent meeting: 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, January 24 - An Evening with Tony Wagner, author of The Global Achievement Gap. More information below RSVP here
- Wednesday, January 25 - NO CLASSES for Professional Development Day
- SAVE THE DATES: Friday, February 3, 2012 - Our 75th Anniversary Celebration (More information to follow).
General School News
PARENT WORKSHOP WITH DR. TONY WAGNER, AUTHOR OF THE GLOBAL ACHIEVEMENT GAP
Charleston Day School has partnered with other area independent schools to bring renowned author Dr. Tony Wagner to Charleston. By combining resources, the schools are able to invite Dr. Wagner to speak to independent school parents as well as teachers. The session for parents is scheduled for Tuesday evening, January 24th at 7:00 p.m. The event will take place at the Porter-Gaud gym and is being organized by Life Management Center.
Please see the flier for more information on Dr. Wagner and his books. His presentation will be important for parents of students of any year and will focus on the global achievement gap that faces even the country's best schools.
Spread the word and come with a friend. This event is free for parents. Parents will be asked to RSVP so we can have an accurate number and adequate seating. Over 600 parents attended a similar evening in January, 2010. Take the RSVP survey now.
Schools participating in this event include Charleston Day School, Addlestone Hebrew School, Ashley Hall, Charleston Collegiate, Mason Prep, Pinewood Prep, Porter-Gaud and Trident Academy. Faculty from participating schools will be together with Dr. Wagner on Wednesday, Tuesday January 25th. Due to this professional development day, students will not be in school on January 25th.
AUCTION ITEMS FOR THE 75th GALA
We hope you will join us for the school's 75th Anniversary Black and White Gala (link this to invite) on Friday, February 3rd at 7 p.m. at The Riviera on King Street. The night will celebrate the school's 75 years with live music, dancing, a cocktail buffet and live & silent auction. Tickets are $75 per person. For ticket information (link this to response card), please contact Mary Baarcke at 266-9798. Over the next few weeks, we will tell you about some of the great auction items and you can also find the items on our auction webpage.
1. Costa Rica’s calling! Enjoy a tropical beachfront experience with friends and family in a luxurious, contemporary home located in the charming village of Santa Teresa, Costa Rica. Enjoy a seven-night stay at “Beachwood.” The house is situated at the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula, adjacent to the Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve. Set behind gates, on a lush three-acre estate property, the house sits directly in front of one of the country’s finest white sand beaches. This beautiful home accommodates eight people. Beachwood’s housekeeping staff will ensure that your family is relaxed and comfortable during your getaway and the concierge is available every day to coordinate activities. What more could you need! Available for the month of June 2012. You can find more information here: http://www.thebeachestates.com
2. Vermont is what the rest of this country used to be and Stowe is the premier quintessential New England town that’s anything but sleepy. The eclectic mix of rustic landscape and rich culture, vibrant colors and unspoiled backcountry, maple sugar and world famous ice cream make this a trip you won’t want to miss! When people think of Stowe they think of snow, with Mt. Mansfield’s renowned double black diamond trails and Spruce Peak’s perfect family beginner slopes. But spring and summer in this adventure playground at Vermont’s highest peak also offers the best of golf, fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking and more. Add in breathtaking views, fine dining, shops and galleries, vineyards and architecture and you’ll see why “magical” is the adjective most used to describe this quaint village. Renew your spirits in Stowe, the place postcards are made of. Windy Heights is a five bedroom, 6 ½ bath luxury home that sits on 22 pristine acres with spectacular 180 degree mountain views just minutes from the town’s ski slopes and main streets. This family home is ideal for up to two families or three couples. Windy Heights is available for spring break so start planning your ski adventure now!
3. Get ready to fire up the grill and put on your swimsuit for a fun filled Memorial Day weekend spent on pristine Lake Summit in North Carolina. Enjoy the holiday weekend, Friday to Tuesday, spent lake living at a home on the lake with five bedrooms, four bathrooms (including a guest cabin) and access to a boat that will help make memories to last of tubing, waterskiing and swimming.
4. Ever wanted to learn more about what really goes on in Washington, D.C.? Here is your chance! On your next trip to DC you and your family can gain "behind the scenes" insights from those closest to the legislative and political process in intimate settings. Enjoy your thrill on Capitol Hill. Note: Congress is not in session most holidays.
8th GRADERS GO TO THE GIBBES
On January 18 and 19 from 10:30-12:00 p.m., the 8th grade will visit the Gibbes Museum of Art to tour their collections and learn more about becoming a junior docent.
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON PRESENTS MOVING BEYOND PREJUDICE DAY
This free and open-to-the-public event promises to be an educational experience for the audience. http://news.cofc.edu/2012/01/09/college-designates-moving-beyond-prejudice-day/
Parent Council News
PARENTS' COUNCIL MEETING
Mark your calendar for the next Parents Council meeting:
Wednesday, February 1st at 8:30 a.m. at CDS
Dr. Trish Hutchison, co-founder of Girlology and board certified pediatrician, will be the guest speaker. Topic is forthcoming. This will be an informative and productive meeting.
BASKETBALL - Basketball page on the website
U11 Boys' Lacrosse
It looks like our team is coming together for the spring season! Tomorrow is the last day of registration. Please let Coach Wallace know when you have registered, so that she can have a final list.
Spring Tennis grades 4-8
While the tennis season won't begin until March, the City of Charleston is having a pre-season meeting which involves all parent coaches. We'll need one "Team Mom" or "Team Dad" per team. It is fun AND you don't have to be a good tennis player!
Some of the responsibilities include:
• Being the contact in case of changes in the schedule
• Doing the line-up for matches each week
• Attending the matches - help younger players keep score
• Organize who is bringing snack and drinks
It is fine to have several parents help with this job. Once again, we will be playing out of the Live to Play Tennis Center in Mt. Pleasant.
Contact Coach Wallace with questions.
SAVE THE DATE!
Run For Adela- April 14, 8:30am
The date has been set for this fun run! The 3rd annual Run for Adela is a 5k run that takes place on Sullivan's Island in memory of Adela Holmes Cook, who was a CDS graduate in 2005. More info to come.
PRIMARY SCHOOL INFORMATION
Tuesday: bring reading log
Wednesday: Math quiz
Friday: Spelling test
Thursday: Moon test; Old Exchange quiz
Friday: Spelling test; Grammar quiz
Wednesday: Math facts test; Field trip
Thursday: Skeletal and Muscular System test
Friday: Revolutionary War test; Spelling test
Wednesday: Poetry and figures of speech test; Spaghetti Bowl: 11:10-11:50 Gage Hall
Thursday: Spelling 9 test
Friday: History quiz
Wednesday: History Ch. 12 test; Spanish test
Thursday: Fractions quiz
Wednesday: 6B Science test
Thursday: 6A Science test; Spanish test
Tuesday: Honors Pre-Algebra test
Wednesday: Language Arts test; Spanish test
Thursday: Mrs. Shealy Pre-Algebra test; History test (essay Friday)
Friday: Science test
Wednesday: Honors Math test; Science test
Thursday: Spanish test